Friday, May 06, 2011


Michael Smyth of Royal Troon is the 2011 Ayrshire match-play champion after he defeated Gary Bryden of Girvan in the final at Troon Portland on Thursday evening.
After enjoying excellent weather all week, the finalists encountered testing conditions with rain throughout the final.
The players opened with a half at the first before Smyth, who was beaten in a play off for the stroke-play title two weeks ago, took the lead at the second when Bryden conceded the hole after getting into trouble.
Smyth had a chance to increase his lead at the third but Bryden bravely holed from 6 feet for par to half the hole, and a half in bogey fours, after both players missed the green from the tee, at the fourth hole maintained Smyth's one hole lead.
Bryden had an opportunity to square the match at the fifth when he hit his approach in to 12 feet while Smyth missed the green, but Smyth's chip on lipped out for a birdie and bryden missed his chance, leaving the hole halved in pars and Smyth still one ahead.
Par fours at the 6th saw another hole halved and again it looked as though Smyth could increase his lead at the seventh when he hit his approach to within two feet of the hole. Bryden was not perturbed however, and an excellent putt from 20 feet beyond the hole gave him a birdie three which was followed by a sporting concession of Smyth's birdie putt fro a half.
After finding a greenside bunker at the eighth and failing to extracate his ball at the first attempt, Smyth conceded the hole to Bryden and the match was all square for the first time since the opening hole. This did not remain the case for long however, Bryden missing his putt for a three and Smyth holing his, giving Smyth a one hole advantage as the match turned for home.
The tenth hole was halved in par threes, despite both players missing the green from the tee, and two superb shots to the green at the 11th by Smyth gave him the hole and a two hole advantage in the match for the first time. This advantage was further pressed home when Smyth also took the 12th hole to establish a three hole advantage, with six to play.
At the 13th hole both players found rough from the tee and whils Bryden reached the front of the green with his second shot, Smyth could only advance the ball 20 yards when he then discovered he had played a wrong ball and conceded the hole to bring his advantage back to two holes.
Holes were running out for Gary Bryden and another win by Smyth at the 14th gave him a three-hole lead with four to play. Smyth took full advantage of his strong position at the fifteenth, winning a second successive hole to take the match, and the Ayrshire match-play title for the first time, with a 4 and 3 margin.

+Picture of Michael Smyth with trophy by courtesy of the Ayrshire Golf website.



Post a Comment

<< Home

Copyright © Colin Farquharson

If you can't find what you are looking for.... please check the Archive List or search this site with Google