Monday, January 16, 2017

Second course back on plan for Trump's Balmedie Links

Donald Trump and his organisation are expanding the Trump International Golf Links at Balmedie, 12 miles up the North-east coastline from Aberdeen.

The Aberdeenshire Council has approved a proposal that will allow a second 18-hole golf course to be built on the resort, the clubhouse of which is pictured right.
Though the original proposal was sent in 2015, the announcement comes at a curious time.
Last week, an attorney for the President-elect made a promise that “no new foreign deals will be made whatsoever” by Trump's businesses, in an effort to avoid conflicts of interest during his presidency.
However, a spokesperson for Trump said the plans do not apply to this ban, as it is not a new foreign deal. “Implementing future phasing of existing properties does not constitute a new transaction so we intend to proceed," she  said
This is not the first time the resort has seen controversy. Its opening saw a backlash as the property was built on "a unique, protected area" for wildlife, and last summer it was reported that Trump had tax discrepancies on both the Aberdeen and Turnberry properties



Post a Comment

<< Home

Copyright © Colin Farquharson

If you can't find what you are looking for.... please check the Archive List or search this site with Google