Six birdies from his final eight holes gave Miguel Angel Jimenez a one-shot victory in the Champions Tour’s season-opening Mitsubishi Electric Championship in Hawaii.
The Spaniard carded a six-under 66 on the final day to finish one clear of Mark O’Meara, who hit nine birdies and one bogey in his third-round 64. 
After making two birdies and a double bogey on the front nine at Hualalai Golf Club, Jimenez birdied holes 10, 11, 13, 14, 15 and 17 and closed with a two-putt par.
The victory is Jimenez’s second win from just three appearances on the Champions Tour, but he admits playing conditions were challenging in Hawaii.
It was uphill against the grain and into the wind," the world No 42 said. “I knew I had to hit it hard."
Defending champion Bernhard Langer’s hopes of retaining his title were ended by an opening-day quintuple bogey on a par five, with the German having to settle for tied-fifth alongside Montgomerie after ending 12-under for the tournament.
O'Meara's second place finish was his 15th on the Champions Tour, with the 57-year-old without a tournament win since 2010. 
"People remember the winner, not second place," O'Meara said. "I'm disappointed, but Miguel played well when he had to."