Monday, April 15, 2013


Press Release

Teenage golfing sensation James Steven, pictured left, is hoping to follow in the footsteps of superstars Tiger Woods, Justin Rose and Rory McIlroy after being awarded a golf scholarship to study in the USA.

The 19 year old, from Blantyre, will compete in the ultra-competitive American College golf circuit while studying for a business degree at the University of Central Arkansas. 
He was awarded the prestigious scholarship from Firstpoint USA after he impressed them with his dedication and talent, showcasing a handicap of +3.

James’ scholarship will cover a 85 per cent of the course fees, and the youngster has already made such an impact in his hometown that local business Darcey Quigley and Co has pledged to support him and pay the remaining 15 per cent of his fees to attend college.

Lynne Darcey Quigley, MD of commercial debt-recovery agency Darcey Quigley and Co, said: “We have followed James’ career for years and are all very proud of him.

“James first came to our attention about four years ago when he was at school. He came to Darcey Quigley and Co for a week’s work experience and cheekily asked if he could take a day off to compete in a golf tournament! We had a laugh at his brass neck but we allowed him to go because we were impressed by his commitment to golf, and have followed and supported him ever since.

“First USA offers a fantastic opportunity for student athletes from all over the world to compete at the very highest level of their sport while getting a college education. We are all very proud of James here at Darcey Quigley and wish him every success in his new venture. We will be keeping up to date with his progress in America.”

James, who plays at Bothwell Castle, has been playing golf from a young age and has already been successful in a number of junior championships across Scotland, including Lanarkshire Boys Matchplay, Lanarkshire Youths Strokeplay and he is the youngest winner of the Lanarkshire Gents Strokeplay.   

The John Ogilvie High School pupil said: “This has been my dream since I was a little boy and I can’t believe it is finally happening.

“Major golfers like Tiger Woods and Luke Donald have competed in the American College League before breaking into the professional league. College sport is a big deal in America and attracts millions of viewers and sponsorship deals every year, it is great that I can get an education while perfecting a sport I love.

“I would like to say thank you to Darcey Quigley and Co and Firstpoint USA for helping my dream become a reality. I am fortunate that I don’t need to pay for any of my tuition and I can concentrate on my degree and developing my golf.”

The teenager also revealed that not only did Darcey Quigley & Co pay for the remainder of his scholarship fees, but Lynne also helped him gather and complete all the paperwork required for his university and USA visa applications.

He added: “Anyone would think they’re actively trying to get rid of me!”

Firstpoint USA, the world’s number one in American Sports Scholarships, receives more than 15,000 applications every year and awards more than 300 scholarships to athletes from all around the world.

Andrew Kean, chief executive of Firstpoint USA, said: “College sport is extremely competitive in America and most athletes in the USA will have made their name in the College League before entering the sport at a professional level.

“The system in America allows youngsters to get an education and compete against top players in their sport. James is very talented and I have no doubts that he will succeed in America, I wish him all the best and look forward to hearing how he gets on.”

Edward Morrison, head teacher at John Ogilvy High School, said: “I am delighted for James, of whom I am very proud in relation to his sporting achievements in golf. Everyone at John Ogilvy wishes him the very best for the future.”

Issued by Beattie Communications on behalf of Darcey Quigley



Post a Comment

<< Home

Copyright © Colin Farquharson

If you can't find what you are looking for.... please check the Archive List or search this site with Google