Tuesday, October 29, 2013




Renfrewshire Golf Union A team has won the West of Scotland Championship for the twelfth time in a row with a victory at Kirkintilloch Golf Club against Dunbartonshire.

Team captain Ronnie Clark from Erskine Golf Club had made himself available for all the scheduled games and had won all four of them before the Dunbartonshire match was postponed.  Holiday plans then intervened and, as he sipped pina coladas in sunny Mauritius, the team faced strong wind and heavy rain on a course which stood up well to the elements.

Undaunted by the conditions, both teams put on a great show of quality golf and, while the final result looked as if it was a one sided affair, this was far from the reality as six games went to the eighteenth hole before a winner was decided.

Kilmacolm’s Matt Clark, who became a father for the first time a few days ago, showed that he was keen to do his bit as quickly as he could.  He raced round, two holes in front of the second game, recorded a 2 and 1 victory, sacrificed both his meal and his place in the team photograph and left to see his new daughter.

David (Lazarus) Dickson was, for the second match in a row, four down after eight holes and, again, the Eastwood member ended with a victory including driving to the fringe of the 329 yard fourteenth hole for a birdie to go one up for the first time.  David has won four out of the five games played.

1997 Amateur Champion Craig Watson (East Renfrewshire) was two down after six holes but his experience and solid play was enough to ensure that he ended the campaign with three wins out of three games played.

Ronnie Clark’s replacement was Ryan McKenzie, also from Erskine, and he needed a half at the last for a square game.  Amazingly, his approach to the green, which looked very promising, hit a post at the front of the green and ricocheted twenty yards to the right.  He played a great recovery for an up and down to gain the half and to ensure that all the team went undefeated on the day.

Renfrewshire President, Ian McCosh, who was on duty as caddie for Gordon Stevenson, was delighted to retain the Championship.  He expressed his thanks to all of the squad who had been involved in the campaign for turning out, often in poor weather, to ensure that the trophy remains where it has been for another year.  Thirteen players took part and there were only eight lost games over the five matches.
 Full results
Matt Clark – Kilmacolm won 2&1 Steven Maxwell - Windyhill
Gordon Stevenson - Whitecraigs half match Colin Colraine - Balmore
Michael Daily - Erskine won 1 up John Fowler - Hayston
Sam Binning - Ranfurly Castle half match Stewart Shaw - Kirkintilloch
David Dickson - Eastwood won 2up Sam Fitzsimmons - Windyhill
Andy Farmer – Kilmacolm won 3&1 Niall Lamond - Kirkintilloch
Craig Watson – East Renfrewshire won 2up Clint Maxwell – Clober
Ryan McKenzie – Erskine half match Greg Halkett - Kirkintilloch

Picture shows the remaining seven players – Stevenson, Watson, Binning, Daily, Dickson, Mackenzie, Farmer and team manager, David Macfarlane




Post a Comment

<< Home

Copyright © Colin Farquharson

If you can't find what you are looking for.... please check the Archive List or search this site with Google