Labels: Senior men amateurs
Thursday, March 09, 2017
STRATHAVEN 'NEW BOY' WINS SENIOR
STABLEFORD AT WEST KILBRIDE
Neil McKinven (Strathaven), who joined the Scottish Senior Golf Society only this season, won today's (Thursday) competition at West Kilbride.
Ongoing work re-shaping most of the course bunkers meant they were all out of play and these works also resulted in two temporary greens being in play but that did not stop McKinven heading a 56-strong field with a total of 40 Stableford points.
A six-handicapper, Neil recorded 20 points on each half, boosted by a net eagle at the 10th.
Colin Halcrow ( Windyhill) and Brian Halbert ( Callander) were joint runners-up with 39pt apiece.,
Three players, Philip Hendry (Alloa) , George Barrie (Callander) and Colin Mavor (Elgin), sharing fourthj place with 37 points.
Next week's event is at Monifieth Links on Friday, March 17 when there will again by a full field of 64 players.
La Manga pro-am report
A not-so-close Shave! Craig wins by 7 shots
PGA NEWS RELEASE
For Full Final Scores Visit http://eur.pe/2017LaMangaClub
PGA NEWS RELEASE
PGA of Great Britain and Ireland professional, Craig Shave produced a dominant display to win the fourth edition of the La Manga Club International Pro-Am in Spain by seven shots.
“It was a tough day today – I struggled a bit,” said Shave, after his one-over final round of 74 gave him a three-round total of 210 (-7). “It was really windy and I made a double bogey down the fourth…but I’m glad to get the job done with a birdie at the last.”
Shave opened with an excellent six-under round of 67: “It helped me out a lot really, because I wasn’t that great over the last two days!”
Having been runner-up in the event last year, the Englishman was ultimately a solid winner this time around and hopes to use the success as a springboard going into the rest of the year:
“I’m just glad to be playing a bit better than I have been for the last few years…I’m starting to enjoy it a little bit more and hopefully I can press on and get some decent results.”
Finishing in second, with a total of 217 (E) is the PGA of Poland’s Lukasz Szadny, after he carded a one-over round of 74. The Polish Professional started the day seven shots behind Shave in a tie for second, but was unable to close the gap on the eventual winner.
A further two shots behind and completing the top three is Joost Steenkamer (PGA of Holland), who finished on two-over (219).
The Team Pro-Am Competition was won by Szadny and his amateurs, Waldemar Kowalczykowki, Krzystof Burlaski and Marek Rakocy.
“The guys are feeling great,” said Szadny, whose team finished with 257 points (-41) to complete their own beginning to end success. “We managed to score really well as a team…and we are over the moon.
“This is the third or fourth PGAs of Europe Pro-Am that we have taken part in as a team…and we will definitely be back here next year.”
The quartet finished 16 points ahead of Team Shave (241 points), who were in turn a further five points in front of the team led by the PGA of Switzerland’s Andre Bossert (236 points).
For all the scores:
————————
For more information visit the Tournament Hub Page (http://eur.pe/2017LaMangaClub), follow @PGAsofEurope and search #LaMangaClubProAm on Twitter, or like the PGAs of Europe Facebook Page.
For more information about the resort and to book a break, call 00 34 968 17 5577, email reservas@lamangaclub.com or visit www.lamangaclub.com.
Labels: PGA
Conor O'Neil top Scot finish on Algarve Tour
By COLIN FARQUHARSON
Conor O'Neil finished the top Scot in the Algarve Pro Tour's Quinta da Ria Classic today (Thu). He had rounds of 71 and 73 for level par 144 and a joint 26th finish.
Jonathan Mullaney scored 79 and 69 for 148 and a T44 finish.
Tantallon amateur Lewis Reid finished T46 in a field of 68 players. He had rounds of 78 and 72 for 150.
Two English and an Irishman finished joint first on 12-under-par 132. Will Enefer had a pair of 66s, David Dixon 65-67 and Ireland's Stirling University graduate Cormac Sharvin shot 65-67.
QUINTA DA RIA CLASSIC
Quinta da Ria Golf Club, Algarve, Portugal
LEADING FINAL TOTALS
par 144 (2x72)
132 W Enefer (Eng) 66 66, D Dixon (Eng) 65 67, C Sharvin (Ire) 65 67.
135 J Abbot (Eng) 67 68, J Carlota (Por) 66 69.
SCOTS' TOTALS
144 C O'Neil 71 73 (T26)
148 J Mullaney 79 69 (T44)
150 L Reid (am) 78 72 (T46)
Field of 68 players
By COLIN FARQUHARSON
Conor O'Neil finished the top Scot in the Algarve Pro Tour's Quinta da Ria Classic today (Thu). He had rounds of 71 and 73 for level par 144 and a joint 26th finish.
Jonathan Mullaney scored 79 and 69 for 148 and a T44 finish.
Tantallon amateur Lewis Reid finished T46 in a field of 68 players. He had rounds of 78 and 72 for 150.
Two English and an Irishman finished joint first on 12-under-par 132. Will Enefer had a pair of 66s, David Dixon 65-67 and Ireland's Stirling University graduate Cormac Sharvin shot 65-67.
QUINTA DA RIA CLASSIC
Quinta da Ria Golf Club, Algarve, Portugal
LEADING FINAL TOTALS
par 144 (2x72)
132 W Enefer (Eng) 66 66, D Dixon (Eng) 65 67, C Sharvin (Ire) 65 67.
135 J Abbot (Eng) 67 68, J Carlota (Por) 66 69.
SCOTS' TOTALS
144 C O'Neil 71 73 (T26)
148 J Mullaney 79 69 (T44)
150 L Reid (am) 78 72 (T46)
Field of 68 players
Labels: ALGARVE TOUR
SCOTS 1-2 FINISH AT MENA TOUR Q
SCHOOL IN MOROCCO
By COLIN FARQUHARSON
Jack Doherty and Grant Forrest made it a Scottish 1-2 at the top of the final totals in the MENA Tour Qualifying School at El Jadida Golf Club, Magazan, Morocco today (Thursday).
Doherty, pictured, had rounds of 73, 74 and 69 for a level par total of 216 and a three-stroke victory from former Scottish amateur champion and Walker Cup player Forrest (75-71-73).
Scott Newbould, a third Scot in the field, failed to gain playing rights on the MENA Tour. He finished outside the leading 55 qualifiers with a T63 placing, thanks to rounds of 84, 83 and 77 for 244.
TO VIEW ALL THE SCORES
CLICK HERE
Top 55 players earn tour cards at Royal
Golf El Jadida for the 2017 season
EL JADIDA
(Morocco), March 9 — Jack Doherty clicked into gear after overcoming a slow
start to win the MENA Tour’s Qualifying School at Royal Golf El Jadida on
Wednesday.
Starting
the final day tied for sixth, two shots off the pace, Doherty closed with a
three-under 69 to reach level par for the tournament, beating his nearest
challenger and fellow Scot Grant Forrest, who returned a 73, by a good
three shots.
Spain’s
Gabriel Canizares rode on a solid back nine which he played in four under en
route to a 71 shared third on four over along with England’s Paul Dwyer and
joint overnight leader Leonardo Axel Lilja Moyano of Spain.
It was
Doherty, the elder brother of MENA Tour regular Paul, who took centre-stage,
responding to two early bogeys with back-to-back birdies on the 7th and eighth,
playing his last 12 holes in five under to get over the line.
Scotland’s
Forrest, who was part of Great Britain and Ireland’s triumphant Walker Cup team
in 2015 which defeated the United States by a record winning margin of 16
½ – 9 ½ at Royal Lytham and St Annes,
rolled in a crucial birdie on the closing hole to ensure a remarkable 1-2
finish for Scotland.
India’s
Feroz Singh Garewal, who shared the overnight lead with Moyano, slipped to tied
10th on seven over after signing for a 78 as England’s Danny Poulter, finished
in a three-way tie for seventh on six-over 222, a stroke behind England’s
Nicholas Mccarthy.
Former
England cricketer Craig Kieswetter, who has set himself the target of being a
regular on the European Tour, birdied two of his last four holes for a closing 75
that left him in a share of 31st at 18 over.
Elsewhere,
UAE’s Ahmed Al Musharrekh finished in a tie for 53rd on 23 over after posting a
final round 78 as top 55 and ties from the final stage were awarded the MENA
Tour cards for the 2017 season.
The MENA
Tour will travel to Palmeraie Country Club in the Moroccan port city of
Casablanca for the first time for the opening event of the season, starting on
March 14.
Labels: MENA TOUR
Manassero sets clubhouse target after punishing first day at Hero Indian Open
| |
EUROPEAN TOUR COMMUNICATIONS
| |
Round One Report
A blemish-free back nine helped Matteo Manassero to set the clubhouse target of 68 at the end of an eventful first day at the Hero Indian Open.
The Italian had been overtaken by course leader David Horsey when the onset of darkness halted play for the night, following an earlier 90 minute suspension caused by the threat of lightning.
Only two players have yet to record a bogey after a punishing day on the striking Gary Player Course at DLF Golf and Country Club in Delhi - England’s Horsey, who is currently five under par after 15 holes, and Frenchman Gregory Havret, one further back at three under par after 12 holes.
Four-time European Tour winner Manassero had a stuttering start with a double-bogey on the tenth hole.
He pulled one back with a birdie on the 13th but bogeyed the next, before everything clicked in to gear from the 17th onwards as he picked up five shots in six holes with help from an approach to four feet at the second, a tee-shot that spun back to six feet on the third and a four-footer on the fourth.
England’s Eddie Pepperell picked up back-to-back birdies on the final two holes to sign for a three under par 69. He and Havret are joined by Spain’s Carlos Pigem, who has two holes left to play.
Sam Walker, Steven Tiley, Jose-Filipe Lima, Romain Langasque, Felipe Aguilar, Eduardo De La Riva and Anthony Wall are amongst a group of 11 players one stroke further back at two under.
Defending champion, India’s S S P Chawrasia, is at one under par with three holes remaining, while his compatriot and 2015 winner Anirban Lahiri endured a torrid round to finish at four over par.
The highest ranked player in the field, Rafa Cabrera Bello, signed for a one over par 73, after an erratic round that included five birdies and three double-bogeys.
66 players will complete round one when play resumes at 7 am on Friday morning.
Player quotes
Matteo Manassero:
“It was a false start. I just kept playing well and had a lot of birdie chances and that was the key after starting with a double. You have to be always in play, otherwise there will be a lot of high numbers and a lot of doubles. It’s very easy to lose shots on this course.
“I made a very good putt on 17th. I think that was important, I was two over at that point after seven holes. Making I would say a 18-footer or something like that, right to left, it brought me to one over.
“After the double I started well, which was important because I have been three weeks at home and to come back to a tough course like this, it’s never easy. So the fact that I found a lot of birdies, it’s very, very positive and I’ll try to keep it that way.”
Eddie Pepperell:
“I’m just relieved to be off the golf course. That’s the most stressful three under par I think I’ve ever shot. Not because I played badly. I played really, really well. I hit a couple of bad wedge shots that led to a couple of bogeys on the par fives, but other than that.
"I hadn’t seen the golf course before today and literally every shot, something can go wrong. It’s an amazing golf course.
“I holed a good putt on 17th for birdie from 20 feet. After making a couple of bogies on the previous three holes that was important to get myself back to two under. And then actually I hit a good tee shot off the last.
" It was quite a tough tee shot off the last, I hit a three wood and batted it straight down the fairway. Those back to back to back shots gave me a lot of confidence.
“You know, my confidence has been a little low this year, I haven’t been playing as well as I know I can. Actually, I’ve done nothing well. So to go out there today and putt better and hit the ball better generally was uplifting.”
Steven Tiley:
“I’m pleased with the way I’ve handled myself this week. We made an effort, myself and my caddie, just to enjoy it, to have fun. I’ve been beating myself up for the last couple of tournaments. Just getting down.
"We made a pact to go out there and have fun. I know it’s just the biggest cliché there is, but that’s what we did today.
“This golf course, I mean, if you let it, it will just beat you up in a heartbeat. It’s tough out there. The wind’s blowing. You miss a fairway, it’s pretty much a lost ball. It’s tough, it’s five and a half hours, nearly six and you’ve got to just keep going and see what you can do.
“Four holes in and I’ve made a bogey on a par five. The last couple of weeks it would have been ‘here we go again’ but this week, well I’ve had enough of that. I just laughed it off as it were, hit a good shot into the next and made birdie.”
Leading completed scores after round 1 at the par 72, 7373 Yards DLF GandC course (am - denotes amateur):
68 - Matteo MANASSERO (ITA).
69 - Eddie PEPPERELL (ENG).
70 - Sam WALKER (ENG), Steven TILEY (ENG), Paul PETERSON (USA), Angelo QUE (PHI), Danny CHIA (MAS), Jose-Filipe LIMA (POR).
71 - Terry PILKADARIS (AUS).
72 - Rahil GANGJEE (IND), Gavin GREEN (MAS), Paul DUNNE (IRL), Ricardo GONZALEZ (ARG), Prom MEESAWAT (THA), Shubhankar SHARMA (IND), Nathan KIMSEY (ENG), Rigel FERNANDES (am, IND), Damien PERRIER (FRA).
73 - George COETZEE (RSA), Wade ORMSBY (AUS), Shiv KAPUR (IND), Kiradech APHIBARNRAT (THA), Rafa CABRERA BELLO (ESP), Pep ANGLES (ESP), Gaurav Pratap SINGH (IND), Rashid KHAN (IND), Adilson DA SILVA (BRA), Feroz ALI (IND), Jens FAHRBRING (SWE).
74 - Jbe KRUGER (RSA), Robert ROCK (ENG), Gaganjeet BHULLAR (IND), Todd SINNOTT (AUS), Brett RUMFORD (AUS), Nicolas COLSAERTS (BEL), Arjun ATWAL (IND), Shamim KHAN (IND), LIANG Wen-chong (CHN), CHAN Shih-chang (TPE).
(Note: 66 players to resume round one at 7am, Friday)
LINK TO FULL SCOREBOARD CLICK HERE +The only Scots who have completed 18 holes so far are: 76 Duncan Stewart (T97) 77 Richie Ramsay (T109)
-
| |
EUROPEAN TOUR COMMUNICATIONS
|
Labels: EUROPEAN TOUR
Justin Rose coming home for the BMW
PGA Championship
NEWS RELEASE
Olympic champion Justin Rose will make his first appearance on home soil since claiming the gold medal in Rio when he tees it up in the BMW PGA Championship at Wentworth Club from May 25-28 - the first tournament in the European Tour’s new Rolex Series.
Rose, who campaigns on the US PGA Tour, became the first Englishman to win the US Open for 43 years when he triumphed at Merion in 2013 and he made history again last August when he marked golf’s return to the Olympic Games after a 112 year absence with a two-shot victory over Open champion and Ryder Cup team-mate Henrik Stenson in Brazil.
Labels: EUROPEAN TOUR
Six full US college golf scholarships
up for grabs
FROM BEN HACKER
I just wanted to Email about an opportunity that we are running with Athletes-USA and ISM, offering six young golfers the chance to win full golf scholarships to a college in the United States..
Please find below a link to a video to explain this further along with a further link that contains all imagery, videos and press release.
Link to materials: https://drive.google.com/open?id=0BxWtlRAvR4RhZWlMZTBSMWZTUm8
I would love for this opportunity to feature on Scottish Golf View as I feel this could be great for your audience.
Ben Hacker | Founder
+44 7743 414 396
+44 7743 414 396
www.pinseekerz.com | @Pin_Seekerz
iOS: http://apple.co/1x7Sqai | Android: http://bit.ly/1GVeY08
Film: https://vimeo.com/203878133
Film: https://vimeo.com/203878133
Labels: US COLLEGES
SCOTS NAMED FOR NATIONS CUP IN SPAIN AT END OF THE MONTH
Scotland teams named for the European Nations Cup at Sotogrande, Spain from March 29 to April 1 is:
MEN - Liam Johnston (Dumfries and Co), Robert MacIntyre (Glencruitten), Connor Syme (Drumoig), Craig Howie (Peebles).
WOMEN - Hannah McCook (Grantown-on-Spey), Shannon McWilliam (Aboyne), Chloe Goadby (St Regulus
Labels: Scottish Golf
Copyright © Colin Farquharson
If you can't find what you are looking for.... please check the Archive List or search this site with Google